Bodybuilders and athletes swear by Whey Protein. We hear quite often that it provides the maximum quantity of protein, far more than the other supplements. Consuming it daily could help you achieve your dream body a little faster. But what is Whey Protein and what are the benefits of consuming it? There might be a lot of questions in your mind related to Whey Protein- its manufacturing and health benefits. Let us take you through the entire process.
What is Whey Protein?
Whey is the liquid manufactured as a by-product when milk is curdled to make cheese. It is one of the primary products found in dairy products. Milk contains casein and whey proteins. Casein is present in large quantities, around 80% and Whey only 20%.
All of us might not have made cheese at home but we all have seen and consumed Whey. The thin layer of water at the top of the curd we set at home is Whey. This is the most common example of Whey that everybody might have seen and consumed. This whey is an excellent source of protein and has minimum fats and carbs. Casein settles with the fat portion of the milk.
Whey consists of alpha-lactalbumin and beta-lactoglobulin, serum albumin and immunoglobulins. All of these things are one or the other forms of protein found in different sources. All of these combine to make Whey the highest protein source.
When Whey is taken out from the milk in the process of making cheese, it is then dried to convert it into Whey protein.
Whey Protein is not only beneficial for bodybuilders and athletes as a nutritional supplement but it has also proved to be even beneficial in specific conditions and activities. We would like to mention those special activities.
Benefits of Whey Protein in special cases and everyday life –
1.Helps in dealing with MalnutritionWhey protein might help with weight gain in people who face trouble with gaining weight. It also helps in maintaining the ideal weight for malnourished people. It also helps older adults and those with HIV-AIDS to lead healthy lives.
2. Heals wounds fasterPeople who are recovering from burns are benefitted from Whey Protein. It has also proved to help those with chronic wounds.
3. Whey protein fights AllergiesResearch shows that infants who are given the hydrolyzed form of Whey Protein have a lower risk of developing atopic dermatitis or eczema and allergies than those who consume standard formula. The hydrolyzed method contains protein that is broken down into smaller size proteins, smaller than those in cow’s milk and soy-based methods.
4. Whey normalises the pressure of bloodHypertension or high blood pressure may increase the risk of heart diseases. However, researchers have found a link between milk products with reduced blood pressure. This happens due to bioactive peptides called lactokinins. Therefore, people with high blood pressure could be benefitted from Whey Protein.
5. Helps Type 2 Diabetic patientsType 2 diabetes is a chronic disease that is characterised by the impaired function of insulin in the body which leads to high blood sugar levels. Whey protein has been found to moderate blood sugar which sets the insulin back to normal functioning. This makes Whey protein help diabetic patients lead a healthy life.
6. Whey reduces InflammationInflammation is the response of the body to damage. But it becomes chronic under certain circumstances. Studies have found that including Whey protein in large quantities, reduces the blood levels of C-reactive protein, which marks the inflammation in the body.
7. It is an excellent source of high-quality proteinAs mentioned above, Whey Protein contains alpha-lactalbumin and beta-lactoglobulin, serum albumin and immunoglobulins. All of these are proteins found in different sources. Whey contains 100% natural proteins in high quantities with all the essential amino acids. Being an all-natural protein, it is absorbed in the body quickly, better than any other type of protein. This makes it the preferable choice of bodybuilders, athletes and people who want an increased quantity of protein in their diet.
8. It increases muscle growthWe are aware of the fact that muscle mass naturally decreases with age. This leads to fat gain which can ultimately cause chronic diseases. But this process can be delayed or reversed by consuming Whey protein. When paired with strength training, Whey protein helps you to fight age-related muscle loss and helps you lead a healthy life.
9. Whey protein lowers cholesterol levelsHigh cholesterol poses a big health risk. High doses of Whey protein for a time duration of 12 to 14 weeks can decrease the levels of LDL or the bad cholesterol in the most obese of persons too.
10. Whey protein reduces pangs of hungerWhey protein is highly filling. It suppresses the feeling of hunger for a longer time. This keeps in check your diet and your cravings. You don’t eat unhealthy food in between meals, which helps you to follow your diet more strictly.
11. It helps you lose weightFor losing weight, protein intake has been a well-known strategy. It is a fact that protein intake can help lose weight. It suppresses your cravings which reduce your calorie intake, boosts your metabolism, helps maintain muscle mass while losing weight. Research done on the effects of Whey protein on muscle-protein synthesis and glucose metabolism has stated that there might be a direct link. Whey protein may lower the levels of lipid and glucose metabolism and even blood pressure
Why and How to consume it daily?
Up to 50g of protein is advised to include in your diet daily. You just have to make sure that you are not compromising on the other nutrients in your diet.
There are a lot of recipes that can make your everyday Whey protein experience fun. Let us tell you some of the most delicious and unconventional recipes with Whey protein –
1. Protein pancakes
Just add your prescribed amount of Scitron Milk Chocolate Whey Protein in the batter of the pancake and you will have chocolate flavour whey protein pancakes. This healthy and tasty recipe will satisfy your cravings to eat something filling as well as sweet.
While making bread at home you can add a small quantity of Unflavored Raw Whey Protein to the batter to give your homemade bread a special touch. The same can be done while baking a cake or cupcakes at home.
All the desi people who crave something crispy in the morning can opt for dosa for breakfast. Just make it a bit healthier by adding the unflavored 100% plant based whey protein powder to the batter. The taste of the dosa will not be affected but the health quotient will be increased by multiple levels.
4. Peanut butter and whey protein smoothie
Add generous amounts of peanut butter in a glass of milk and a sliced banana. Add Advanced Milk Chocolate Whey Protein on top of it. Give it a good mix and your healthy and very tasty smoothie is ready. This drink will be refreshing and filling at the same time.
Whey protein is not only an excellent source of protein but it is also natural and 100% pure. All our vegetarian friends can have it too. It contains around 40g of protein in around 100g of serving (quantities subject to change depending on the brands). For maintaining overall health, everybody should consume Whey protein. It is not just a supplement for bodybuilding or sports Industries but it also is a very important nutrient for people to maintain their general health.
These were all the benefits we had to highlight before you. Tell us your experience with Scitron whey protein. Also, if you haven’t tried it yet, give it a try and tell us your transformation story.
Visit www.scitron.com to have a look at the various nutritional supplements we have to offer. Scitron is the brand that provides the best bodybuilding supplements in India. It is the first nutritional supplement brand both for bodybuilding and sports in India. Glanbia Nutritionals, which is the leading supplier for nutritional raw materials, is our source of ingredients. We make sure you get only quality products. Let us know about your experience with Scitron. We would love to hear your feedback.